. . . BETTER BECAUSE
A lot has been shared about the opportunities to improve the safety of our occupied spaces with Far UV light; with a multitude of academics providing detailed peer reviewed lab studies and industry stakeholders providing real-world case studies on the thousands of installations and millions of people successfully protected. Those can be found elsewhere on this website, in peer-reviewed publications and/or we would be happy to point you in the right direction for anything you might not be able to find or have questions on.
As new companies have entered the market, however, far less information has been collectively gathered and publicized about the significant differences between the Far UV offerings available. Often, the least expensive offerings may look similar to more expensive offerings and even use some of the same components, making end users
and even subject matter experts believe they are comparable in performance. However, the safety, efficacy, efficiency, cost, ease of procurement and installation, reliability and customer service can vary significantly between vendors and their products. The following chart and analysis is intended to highlight some of these considerable differences and provide a basis for end users to better evaluate and make more informed decisions based on their options and preferences. It has been assembled from the referenced manufacturer’s own websites, other authorized online sources or academic publications that carry or have tested these products or via tear downs of the products in our labs. We believe it to be by far the most comprehensive and accurate collection of comparative details as of November 16th , 2023. If any errors or omissions have been made, any/all feedback is welcome and encouraged to continue to maintain its accuracy.
For more information, please contact us at:
- Far UV Technologies began researching and developing products long before COVID. This has allowed it to secure the broadest IP portfolio in the industry, commercialize its solutions sooner than others and integrate important engineering lessons learned in the labs and in the field to provide superior safety, performance, reliability and lifetime costs for end users.
- While we have been deployed on 6 continents, we believe our domestic manufacturing and customer service ensures unparalleled quality, commissioning and support. In our efforts to continually accelerate our innovative solutions, we haven’t always been perfect (and neither are other companies as they start out) but our past lessons learned over the years have put us ahead and we strive for continuous improvement to sustain that lead.
- This list only includes end user Far UV devices utilizing optical filters for safety. Any of the devices shown have enough power to exceed the Threshold Limit Values for safety and as such should utilize optical filters to avoid unwanted wavelengths.
- Far UV Technologies values safety first in all of its product design considerations. Our solutions are further engineered to never be able to exceed the TLVs in application when used as directed. Eliminating the chance of user error (whether they are sophisticated users, unsophisticated users, children, pets or otherwise) makes our customers more confident.
- We bolster our safety claims by having our products independently certified for photobiological, electrical and ozone compliance by UL, CE and CARB.
- Far UV Technologies employs a patent pending custom power supply which allows it far more capabilities to dynamically vary power, improve efficiency and significantly improve reliability. Given the significant variability of almost any available bulb output (+/- 20%), every Krypton light is tested before shipment and out of spec bulbs are binned or adjusted via the custom power supply back into our industry leading tight specifications (+/- 5%). The more reliable power supply allows us to have the longest expected product life and warranty in the business.
- The optional use of a diffuser allows for maximum protection in low ceiling applications while not requiring its use and power sacrifice in higher ceiling applications. Far UV Technologies utilizes custom patent pending diffuser solutions that provide about double the output power of other industry diffuser options.
- The power out of competing solutions are probably best-case scenarios based on the thousands of components we have tested. When factoring in the additional power available with our custom power supply and the tight tolerances, we can see as much as double the output power of competitive devices, all while remaining safely under the threshold limit values. Since the variability of the competing designs tolerances by lot are not known, these advantages have not been included and as such are understated in the comparison table. Lower powered devices can require many more units to provide comparable power output and efficacy depending on the space protected and thus incur directly proportional cost increases when commissioning spaces.
- Occupancy sensing can significantly increase bulb life beyond that shown here. To compare solutions, we assumed a 3,000 hour operation of each device per years without duty cycles. If a solution utilizes a duty cycle to extend life or obtain compliance with TLVs, it would come at a cost of less protection, so normalizing all to the same assumptions allows for better apples to apples comparisons. We are aware that the Acuity and Puro solutions are still not actually utilizing the increased ACGIH TLVs and are restricting their duty cycles to adhere to the older guidance. As such, their power out may actually be about 1/7 th that shown here, which would increase
their effective lifetime cost by a comparable 7 times. Given the recent updating of UL 8802 to reflect the passage of ANSI RP-27.1-22, we are assuming that they will eventually amend their duty cycles to reflect the power out and expected lifetime costs of ownership as shown in the table.
- We have patent pending DIY (Do It Yourself) replacement bulb solutions with safety disconnects, to significantly reduce maintenance and lifetime costs. These devices are intended to be a part of customers infrastructure and the return on investment should be evaluated over longer term horizons of 10+ years. The lower upfront cost solutions are often the most expensive
for end users when considering these longer term horizons. Decoupling the bulb from the device also allows us to have the longest expected product life and warranty in the business.
- Real-time end of life sensing (at 70% power) allow users to make sure they are protected at all times with their investment. The variability of bulb life has not been consistent enough to rely on an hour counter with indicator light alone.
- While we have deployed several IOT options with dashboards and more, we have found with our more recent smarter devices that IOT is seldom used, and the incremental cost may not be warranted.
- A broader range of installation and product options and more experienced professionals can often make or break a project’s cost and successful implementation. Our team is comprised of NALMCO Certified GUV Management Consultants with the most installations and experience in the industry.
- Our products are uniquely available via Federal and State sole sourcing alternatives including National Stock Numbers issued by the Defense Logistics Agency, Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business GSA Schedules and the SBIR Mandate that indicates Federal purchasers must purchase from SBIR companies unless they can get a signed waiver from the SBA: https://www.sbir.gov/tutorials/data-rights/tutorial-4.